Scott Shultz Resume
Friday, August 15, 2003
4100 Mariner's Way • Lewis Center, OH 43035
Home: 740-548-2428 • email@example.com
- • Over 15 years of product management and software development experience
• Proven track record of marketing profitable, industry-leading software applications
• Demonstrated expertise in market research, competitive analysis, and product pricing
• Leadership abilities in business strategy and product positioning
• MBA along with expertise in a variety of high-tech software and networking concepts
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and team leadership capabilities
Applied Innovation Inc., Dublin OH
1996 - 2003
Applied Innovation (NASDAQ: AINN) delivers network management solutions to telecommunications companies both domestically and abroad that simplify and enhance the operation of today's complex data networks.
Product Line Manager
I plan the roadmap strategy for a line of high-tech telecommunications software products with annual revenues of more than $10 million. These products perform various network management and network security functions and are deployed in every domestic and numerous international carriers.
• Plan ongoing assessment and implementation of new product requirements to ensure each product contributes to overall corporate strategic and profitability goals and maintains a competitive market position. Become a recognized market expert regarding industry trends, current events and regulatory proceedings.
• Develop domestic and international product marketing materials, including web pages, detailed product brochures, pricing guidelines, and presentation materials. Deliver technical and product presentations to internal and external audiences from all levels of business who posses various levels of technical expertise.
• Key member of the sales team for strategic customer opportunities, providing technical requirements analysis and proposal generation assistance. Support sales as primary product spokesman during early customer capture phase.
• Manage numerous cross-functional project teams responsible for a variety of product development and marketing activities throughout the product lifecycle. Control project costs and product prices to achieve targeted profitability and return on investment objectives. Utilize the corporate Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System to derive and analyze inventory, financial, and shipping metrics.
• I led all new product introduction activities for the new AIextend product. This processor card manages custom Python scripts which enable the distribution of high-level OSS functions to be distributed to the edge of the network. I was responsible for this entire project from initial conception through software development, including requirements analysis, competitive assessment, executive approval, and early sales activities. Early adopters of this successful product placed over $2M worth of orders before the product was generally available.
• I managed the NEweb product through all phases of its life-cycle, from initial design and development through product end-of-life. This client/server software product provided a secure gateway for access to remote network elements. It was a very early Java application which utilized SQL Server, ASP, and IIS on the server.
• I was a key member of the sales team that sold over $10M of our AppliedView product to a single RBOC customer. I gave numerous product presentations, and negotiated the addition of some new custom features as part of the opportunity.
• Member of the original product development team that specified, designed and implemented an Internet-based client/server software product called NEweb
• Progressed into the technical project leader role for this product, and managed the development, test and documentation activities of a six-person development team
• Wrote Java source code for the client-side applet, Active Server Pages (ASP) on the server, and implemented the entire SQL Server database schema. Wrote hundreds of SQL stored procedures to facilitate efficient data transfer between client and server components
• Modified C/C++ code in a legacy product to utilize the Oracle RDMS
• Initial goal of the position was to implement a software development lifecycle which would improve software quality while decreasing development time
• Drove the implementation of the Fagan Inspection methodology, amounting to a documented savings of over $1.4 million in its first year
• Used Microsoft Access and Visual Basic to implement a corporate-wide Defect Tracking System, saving an estimated $400K annually
• Member of the ISO9000 inspection team which allowed me to lead numerous process improvement initiatives throughout the organization
IRD Mechanalysis, Worthington, OH
1994 - 1996
IRD Mechanalysis designed and manufactured a vibration analysis system for use in predictive maintenance.
Senior Software Engineer
• Supervised the activities of a 6 - 8 person group responsible for ensuring the integrity of new releases of a vibration analysis system
• My team's duties included the execution of software test plans and the utilization of automated testing tools to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the testing
• Acted as the main engineering liaison to analyze and resolve customer problems
• Implemented a problem reporting database using Microsoft Access
• Wrote and debugged C/C++ source code; used PERL to design and implement an automated build system
Eaton IDT, Westerville, OH
1989 - 1994
Senior Software Integration Engineer
• Supervised 4-person team of Integration Engineers whose duties included the development and integration of process control software
• Key influencer in modifications to the product development life cycle and a core member of the team established to achieve initial ISO9000 certification
Diamond Electronics, Lancaster, OH
1988 - 1989
• Implemented improvements to a real-time process control system using C and PDP 11/87 Assembler
Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
University of Dayton
Dayton, OH, 2000
BS in Computer Science
Athens, OH, 1988
St. John Central High School
Bellaire, OH 1984